From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:13:56 -0600
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Steve Schwartz writes:
>
>>The rise of recorded technology, however, has (with certain other
>>things)led to, in my opinion, an abnormal and unhealthy situation.  The
>>presence of recordings has given rise to almost an exclusive interest in
>>the past among the minority who listen to classical music and little to
>>none in new music among the minority of the minority who even encounter new
>>music.
>
>Perhaps so - but on the other hand, the rise of recorded technology
>makes everything available.  including old music which is not often
>heard.

Reading this series of notes, I wonder about all of the changes brought
about by the advent of the recording.  Some have been very positive, the
opportunity to hear such a wide variety of music, and being able to do so
at the proverbial flip of a switch.

On the other hand, I believe it has had many negative effects as well.
>From my perspective it has resulted in the sterility I find in the concert
hall.  With audiences conditioned by recordings, many judge the quality of
a performance on the lack of missed notes.  I would give anything for more
missed notes if I could have more humanity in the performances.  Yes I am
one of those who prefers some of the older conductors and broadcasts of
concerts.  Musicians perhaps felt less of the need for note perfect
performances and took chances in concert.

As to what I see as the second most damaging result of the recording...time
again for that quote from Koussevitzky...

   "In music, we have reached a dangerous impasse.  From the beginning
   of the 20th century, music, once the privilege of the 'initiated,'
   became accessible to wide layers of society, bringing about a 'mass
   initiation' of the listener into the sphere of musical art.  This
   spreading of music in the masses, at too rapid a pace, resulted in
   a profound misconception of music as a means of 'entertainment' and
   'enjoyment' to be passively consumed by the listener."

   Serge Koussevitky-1947

As to the Copland quote which started this thread.  I agree with it
completely.  Consider the time in art music when the new piece was the
focus.  Gone are the days.  I often wonder how many more composers and had
much more wonderful music we would have if new music was performed, not
just recorded.  I wonder if we may not have so much older music that is
wonderful?

Karl