From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:52:50 -0800
I see now that in the heat of the moment (when I tragically just "lost" the
Mahler Ninth at the very end), I spoke in a murky manner exceeding my usual
murkth.

After a lifetime of relishing and advocating live performances (with
occasional barbs at the CD-only crowd), it's highly unlikely that I would
suggest abolishing the concerthall.

What I said was that the Mahler Ninth (especially the finale) is simply too
fragile to survive distractions...  for me.

There were contrary statements, including Josh Kosman's review in the SF
Chronicle, about successful ways of overcoming the noise, focussing on the
music.  This is something I have done many times myself in the past, and
expect to continue in the future.

The exception I made, and will continue to make, is for the Ninth only.  I
simply cannot anticipate and dread the mood-breaking, music-killing noise
for *this* work.  Otherwise, let a hundred concerts bloom and may we all
overcome the many sounds encroaching on the music.  And now, if you pardon
me, I will even turn off *both* my cell phone and pager!

Janos Gereben/SF