From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:07:26 -0500
Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

>In the most recent issue of Grammaphone, I saw an advert that indicates
>a new volume of the Haydn Symphony Cycle with Christopher Hogwood (on
>Decca/London) is being released in August.  I was under the impression that
>this cycle was tabled due to a lack of sales.

According to what I've read on rec.music.classical.recordings, there was
enough material recorded to compile up to and including Volume 10 (which
I assume is the new release volume).  And, sadly, the series was indeed
cancelled.

>I was pretty saddened at the time to hear that news...[snip]

When I got the news I was royally ticked.  According to another report,
Hogwood wasn't very happy with the decision either.  I'm still hoping Decca
gets their @#$% in a pile and completes the series.

>At the same time I heard about the Hogwood cycle of Haydn going "kaput",
>I heard that Sony cancelled its series with Tafelmusick, and Hyperion
>cancelled theirs with The Hanover Band.  Any one on the list have any ideas
>why Haydn isn't faring well for a complete recording?

In the case of Sony, probably big corporations, the fast buck, and the
bottom line.

Seriously(?), though, I can't comment specifically on the Sony decision,
but I read some time ago that Roy Goodman had given notice that he was
giving up directorship of the Hanover Band.  That decision forced Hyperion
to put the kibosh on the Haydn series.

Mark K. Ehlert