From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 08:03:52 -0700

> >The best research on cerana available to beekeepers is the book "Asian
> Apiculture" edited by Dr. Conner, Thomas Rinderer, H.Allen Sylvester *
> Siriwat Wongsiri. Copy date 1993. The book spends chapters on cerana and
> indicates the hole is indeed for the removal of varroa mites.

Bob, I've got the book in hand, and just skimmed through all the chapters
relating to varroa, but somehow missed finding any indication that the hole
is for the removal of mites.  Could you please direct us to the appropriate
chapter?

>> >Drone caps of A. mellifera do not have central pores and are softer than
>> those of A. cerana, which makes them more vulnerable to hygienic
>> inspections by worker bees.

Now I'm really confused.  To the best of my knowledge, neither A cerana nor
mellifera perform hygienic mite removal from drone cells.

Randy Oliver