From:
Jane Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1993 13:38:21 PDT
>Do we really want to become a newsgroup?  People on the net post all kinds
>of garbage, sometimes.
>Liz Day

Excellent point.  While there have been several inquiries (in rec.gardens
and misc.rural) about a beekeeping newsgroup, the net *is* fraught with its
own peril.

If we do become a newsgroup expect someone's little brother to post something
like "Yo, dudes, what's this group about, getting stung?  Get a life!" on
a periodic basis.  (Based on experience with several newsgroups who have had
this experience.)  Also expect weekly flame wars from alarmists who think
the "Killer Bees" are invading, and we're helping them.  (Not to be confused
with those who think there is a nest of Killer Bees in a hollow tree on their
back acreage, and want to know how to kill them.)  And periodic postings
from members of crackpot types who think eating a diet of royal jelly will
allow you to live forever.  Oh yes, and the guy who posts "Alchemy in the
Garden," about creating cold fusion in your compost pile to various usually-
unrelated scientific newsgroups, on a regular basis.  Remember, almost
anyone can read and post to Usenet.  And usually do.

Jane Beckman  [[log in to unmask]]