From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:17:49 -0400
I'm not understanding the concern over emergency funding for CCD that history suggests has
happened before and only affected 5-8% of the nations hives.  Its coming up on 9 months and we
have nothing but some data that says we lost a lot of hives last winter most of them to weather
patterns and winter kill.

Is there an emergency here?  Is it code red for the bee industry? OR maybe its code red for the
almond industry, like they over planted trees with no idea of how they would be pollinated in the
future. Hardly an agricultural crisis.

Seems like a lot of undies in a bundle over nothing.

The fact that we had no pollination shortfall this growing season that has been reported also
suggests we have no emergency.

No wonder USDA is not moving quickly

I hope the request for future funds works out because the industry deserves more funding for bee
research and industry support, but I'm not losing much sleep over CCD or emergency funding in the
meanwhile.