From:
Jack Griffes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 17:55:24 -0500
this part below was sent out earlier by me (First Counselor to Bishop -
Adrian Ward, Ann Arbor, MI Stake) to our church folks along with a funeral
announcement - a seventeen year old member of our ward (congregation) died
on Tuesday evening - he had AML (luekemia).  I deleted all the funeral
announcement info but thought ya prudently oughta know this next part just
in case since ya are in my address book.

====this begins the important part of the message====
One other thing - and it is a serious thing - a computer virus got sent into
the email system of my workplace today (Midbrook Products).  This particular
one sends an executable file as an attachment (ex. filename.exe) -
executable files are programs and if you open them they run on your
computer.  Sound counsel is to DELETE as per NEVER open exe (executable)
files sent to you UNLESS the party sending them has VIA PHONE OR FACE TO
FACE told you IN ADVANCE that
they are sending you an executable file (even then I would definitely run a
virus scan on it and you have to keep your anti-virus program UP TO DATE). I
assure you that I am not sending you and will not send you any executable
file(s) without prior warning - if you get one that claims to be from me
DELETE IT PRONTO.  The emailed virus at work today goes into the address
book and sends emails apparently at random - it also seems to use "subjects"
gleaned from the "sent items" folder (making them believable) - it also
sends you virus infected email "from yourself".  So here is a real virus
warning and what to do about it.  So far here at home I have not recieved
email today from work BUT my home email addresses are in at least one of the
work computer address books so thus the advance warning in case the worst
starts happening before I catch it.  They did manage to stop it at work on
the computer of the fella that opened it but it took shutting down and going
into DOS mode to search for and delete it without it being able to replicate
itself.  As the New Year approaches it is a fairly safe bet that more virus
vandals will be at work attempting to create their own "Y2K" computer
glitches.

May God bless you and yours,

Jack Griffes
Country Jack's Honeybee Farm