From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:54:31 -0400
Do you think bees can be bred to withstand heavy brood comb contamination or for life in a
holding yard with 70,000 colonies ?

If the news came today that overly medicated chickens were dying by the millions in feedlot
containment facilities would anyone be surprised? Would there be any mystery? Should USDA start
a big research program into why sickly birds kept in an unnatural density are .......surprise living a
unsustainable exsistance?

I wonder if the Adee's will maintain so many colonies in such close proximity in the future. One
could argue that their losses may have been mitigated if not for the packing densities. So how
devasting is CCD if you keep your bees dispersed and reduce mingling between locations? These
are not the questions that some seek as it does not fit into their paradigm. My point is that while
CCD appears deadly,  is the situation made worse by the honeybee feedlot management
techniques that have emerged in the last decade?

Just like losses in a livestock  or poultry containment facilities can create a domino effect, likewise
the migratory industry is doomed for one crisis after another as more and more colonies will be
moved each year to CA for the ever increasing almond pollination demand.  As the system is
stressed, more bottom feeder operations will move their hives to CA and more non-USA sourced
bees will be brought in to solve the  "crisis" and add to the cesspool of disease, pests and
unknowns.

As long as pollination prices stay high their will be beekeepers willing to spin the bottle and go for
the jackpot or bust. I feel for our CA brothers and sisters who have no where to hide.........