From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 09:15:53 +0100
> That being said, entombed pollen is something I am finding more
> commonly now.  The pollen under the propolis is brick red, dry
> and crumbly.  There is a lot of chlorothalonil fungicide used
> here on potatoes.  Sometimes the fields are sprayed weekly or
> even every five days when the blight index is high.

Hi Stan

Are you implying that honeybees are gathering pollen from potatoes?  In my
experience bumble bees will do this, but honeybees just don't know the buzz
pollination tricks to get it out of the anthers.  They need to be vibrated and I
spend time at my work each summer in glasshouses doing this with a small battery
operated device.  Potato pollen varies from grey to yellowish.

I understand that chlorothalonil is sometimes used as a dust.  Does anyone know
what colour it is?

best wishes

Gavin