From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 12:02:39 -0600
> How does the Imrie Shim compare to a hole drilled or notched into the super?
I've used both shims and drilled holes, never (intentionally at least) notches.

I used tapered shims in two queen colonies 25 years ago before I even heard of
George (although I am sure he was out there).  I now have holes in *every* brood
chamber and a few in supers too, although I normally do not like any ventilation
in supers due to summers here being cool sometimes.  I almost never use shims
anymore.  There are lots of pictures of my brood boxes at my website.
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/

It is just a matter of taste.  They both work.  They each has advantages and
disadvantages and I think we have covered this before here on BEE-L, but here is
a brief recap.

Holes:

* Are not always there when you need them unless you
  plan ahead -- or carry a drill.  (Hint: use a template
  so the holes are all in the same location for wrapping,
  etc.).

* Once they are there, they can be taped or plugged (even
  with a bit of scraped comb)

* Can result in bees coming out near hand holes.  This
  bothers some people.

* Can cause ventilation in the centre of the brood area.

* Seem to be what bees are naturally wired to like to orient to.

* Require no extra parts to be carried and lost/found

* Present a small area to defend that can be easily reduced
  or blocked with tape or adhesive drywall screen

Shims:

* Require lifting or tipping boxes to install

* require remembering (and not losing or breaking) extra parts

* Ventilate at the top/bottom of a brood box.

* Give a larger area to defend.

My main complaint about beekeeping is that it is an enterprise with too many
moving parts.  shims just add a few more.  Complexity of a system increases with
the factorial of the number of pieces, I think.  Am I right George?

allen