From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:25:12 -0500
> When two different groups test and arrive at the same conclusions, and
> when many who try it do not have the advertised results, it does prove
> something.
>
> I have never seen a scientific study that shows FGMO, alone, works. In
> fact, that has been the one constant from when it first came to our
> attention.

Well, I have seen a number of studies and personal observations over the
years that do show increased mite drops using oils, and, of course there is
the article I mentioned near the bottom in my article previous to this, but
perhaps you never got that far down before hitting, "reply".  I don't know
why anyone would insist on imposing a black and white perspective on things.
I certainly does not improve dialogue.

FWIW, I have spent a lot of time in one-on-one discussions with USDA bee
scientists, and discussed oils and other topics with them.  In my
recollection, none of them was foolish enough to make categorical
statements.  They know that it is impossible to prove a negative.  They will
say, however, "in our observations", and "under the conditions we examined",
etc. etc.  Most are sceptical that FGMO will prove to be effective enough
for mainstream use, and that is what they are really seeking -- a
one-size-fits-all solution, much like Apistan and Checkmite+, or that
elusive tolerant bee, not a subtle, time-consuming, operator dependant
method.

Most of the objections I have heard were with the dosage, application, the
frequency and other factors.  No one disputes that FGMO kills mites, but
everyone -- including the strongest proponents -- will hasten to state that
using oils is not simple and that constant monitoring is advised to verify
1.) that it is working, and 2.) that other measures do not need to be used
in addition.

I think everyone who cares has looked at my varroa results.  Judging by *my*
recent  experience, all anyone needs to do is use one Apistan in Spring, and
not treat for 18 months.  Think so?  I don't, but someone will jump to
conclusions.

Also, oxalic drizzling is a known effective treatment, but, even in the
hands of a well-known researcher, the varroa load tripled in one of my hives
after treatment, and increased in the others.

The answers are NOT simple.  Let's not try to impose a simple template on
varroa observations, and let's not, by being dogmatic, drive away all the
people who have and do use FGMO.  The only way we are going to be able to
claim to be an Informed Discussion is by listening politely and patiently to
all points of view.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/