From:
Casey Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 07:25:00 -0800
I had an interesting experience while working one of my hives a few
weeks ago. While repacking (putting all the brood comb down below and
honey above to get ready for the main flow) I stirred up not a few fees
- who were flying around my face in a whir and bouncing off my veil.
After awhile - I realized that most of the bees flying in this defensive
manner were drones! Not as effective sting wise as worker guards - but a
heck of a lot noisier. Has anyone experienced similar behavior?

The same hive seems to be quite easy to rattle - or it might be my
amateurish technique. The hive is a good honey and bee producer so I
took a few combs for a nuc for emergency requeening of my other hives. I
had been requeening other hives the day before and that morning - and
this one resented the intrusion and I had 500 or so bees all over me -
and got stung about 12 times. I think their queen is fine (an Italian)
and the honeyflow is upon us when it's warmer and I was working the hive
in the mid-day. Is this a standard/normal amount of defensiveness? I
haven't been beekeeping long enough to know....

Many Thanks!

Casey Burns
Kingston WA