From:
Erik Seielstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 15:06:55 EDT
Hi everyone

    I should have sent a note around earlier -

    as you may have noticed, our bee-l list is going through a few
changes.  First off, the listserv will be asking each of you to
"confirm" your subscriptions.  Anyone who doesn't send back the
confirmation will be unsubscribed from the list.

    Similarly mail from anyone not subscribed to the Bee-l list will
be sent to me for approval.  Hopefully this may reduce some of the
junk mail posted to lots of mailing lists.  Of course it creates a
few new problems...such as:

Jane Beckman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 > I got a message asking me to reconfirm my subscription to BEE-L and I
 > followed the instructions for confirmation.  What came back was:
 >
 > > CONFIRM BEE-L
 > You are not subscribed to the BEE-L list.
 >
 > Okay, can someone explain to me how it is that I'm not subscribed to
 > this list, in the eyes of the server?  The listserver for the list
 > certainly seems to know what my email address is!

   this is part of the reason for the annual "confirmation"
messages.  You see, when you subscribed to the list, the listserv
picked up your address as:

      [log in to unmask]            Jane Beckman

    and that is where all the mail is being sent.  Your confirmation
cam from the address [log in to unmask], which (to a computer)
is a completely different address.

    so you have two choices, either send an "ok" message from the
stratus.swdc... address, or send a subscribe command from your new
address, and let the "confirm" messages sign the old address off the
list.

          Erik "benevolent bee-l dictator" Seielstad

--
  Erik Seielstad                            |  Systems Programmer/Analyst
  Internet: [log in to unmask]   |  SUNY College at Brockport