From:
JOHN IANNUZZI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 08:44:39 -0400
> >From: "P. Armstrong" <[log in to unmask]>
> >Date:         Wed, 25 Oct 1995 16:08:09 +0000
> >Subject:      Regulations requiring food processing license
>
> >Do any of you know of regulations requiring a food preperation
> >license requirement in other states?  Here in New Mexico we are
> >facing such a requirement.  If anyone has any info on how we can
> >scientifically, or otherwise, put up an argument that has worked
> >elsewhere we would sure appreciate your help.  We are having a
> >meeting on Oct 31 to fight against this.  Thanks.  Nick Melancon
> >New Mexico Bee Keepers Assoc.
>
> Good Luck Nick, but it will take some work to kill such regulation
> if it is well sponsored like by the state health department or some
> organization. (It may also be someone within your own group that is
> after his competition, you need to know.)
>
> I don't know of any regulations requiring on farm honey processing
> plants to be regulated as a "food preparation" site like say a Taco
> Bell or even a Mexican tortilla factory . Realistic inspection's that
> would include beekeeper's honey processing plants will take away from
> the little inspection that is now going on in other areas. (Find out how
> many time's the greasy spoon's in your town are being inspected. You may
> be surprised that they are only checked once a year or less or if
> someone complains enough, more often. Also find out the number of
> reported illness from your state health department.)
>
> To defeat this kind of legislation the first thing you have to do
> is find out who is pushing it and why. If it is just another plan
> to increase your taxes you many have a better shot at killing it
> then if it's in response to people becoming ill or just concerned
> because they found some bee part's in some honey they were given
> by their neighbor who has some bee's. Or if there is some beekeeper
> who is a neighborhood nuisance because bee's are robbing honey drums
> or some other dumb stunt beekeeper's are know to pull.
>
> Honey extraction is a specialized "on farm" or back yard seasonal event
> and does not warrant the same degree of on site inspection as other
> "food preparation" sites. The cost of such activity is high because of
> the seasonal nature and isolation of these operations and would not be
> covered by normal or reasonable licence fee's and would add to the
> budget for inspection already mandated or reduce valuable man day's from
> that important job. The number of complaint's of illness or food
> poisoning from eating Honey processed on the farm does not exist and in
> total is the lowest of all farm processed foods. In many medium to
> larger operation's honey produced on the farm is further processed by
> the first handler where inspection is mandatory, both local and federal.
> Honey produced by producers who use the Farm Loan Program is covered by
> USDA specialized Honey Inspections to qualify for government programs
> and is inspected.

> [...]
 REPLY: Such an attempt was made in Maryland several years ago:
 the beekeepers put up such a loud howl all over the state
  that the idea was quickly dropped.  So too w/ the proposed
  tax on each colony.  Bonne chance.

  Jck the B- man
   John Iannuzzi PhD            * "Singing masons building roofs
   9772 Old Annapolis Rd        *  of gold."       --Shakespeare
   Ellicott City MD 21042 usa   *  20 Italian colonies
   [log in to unmask]   *  3-1/2 decades in beedom