From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:01:03 -0400
Following Juanse's google of Ruth and then a link to a post in an ethology
discussion group, I find the following:

"P.S. I shall gladly debate the issue with anyone willing to do so.
P.P.S. The next worse goof is the claim that various sub-human  animals
s can use a magnetic compass. "

Leaving aside dance language (I am keeping an open mind on that), I would
ask Ruth what faults she finds with the De Jong experiment where bees were
found to build comb in round swarm boxes in a majority of cases in the same
orientation as the combs in the parent colony, but where wrapping wires
around the hive to create a magnetic field perpendicular to the earth's
caused the majority of combs to be oriented perpendicular to the
orientation of the parent colonies.  At least that is my understanding of
the experiment.  There could be many problems with it, but the experimental
design seems a good idea.  Have others tried to replicate it?

I read some papers once (quite long ago) about magnetoreception, and
thought that it was fairly well documented in some very tiny marine animal
(plankton? or a worm?) that orient not only with the north south vector but
also with the horizontal inclination of the field.

Regards

Stan