From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 06:34:26 +0100
At 19:38 21/04/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all -
>
>Yet another newbie to this group.
>
>I am in the process of converting a small chest style freezer (2' X 16" X
>2' deep) into a heater for honey. I'm needing to know what wattage of bulb
>would work best for this type of heater and if one should install a
>thermostat on this heater, what kind of thermostat is recommended and what
>is a good temperature to maintain inside the heater?
>
>Any info would be welcome. I'm planning to mount the bulb in the bottom of
>the unit and build a metal shelf over it to hold 5 gal. buckets or jars.
>
>Thanks
>
>Barry Birkey
>West Chicago, Ill.  U.S.A.

I have used a converted chest freezer almost twice the size of yours for
more years than I care to remember.  It is fitted with two 40 watt tubular
greenhouse heaters.  These diffuse the heat whereas bulbs are a point
source.  In my early days of finding out I used bulbs and placed a 10litre
bucket too close.  Try removing thirty pounds of honey from the bottom of a
deep chest.  The sort of mistake one only makes once.  My 80 watts will take
the temperature well beyond the recognised maximum for honey (160F) so a
variable thermostat is essential.  I have also fitted a visual display
thermometer with a probe in the chest so I have a check whenever I pass by.
Four 10litre buckets of granulated honey will be fully liquified in
36-48hours. =20
It depends on the insulation quality but I reckon two 25watt bulbs or one
40watt would be adequate for your chest.  Fit a thin metal diffuser over the
bulbs, or keep the buckets well away and make tests with a thermometer.  Fit
a variable thermostat for peace of mind and full control.  It is possible,
with much testing, to end up with heat loss balancing heat output at around
150-160F, the maximum permissible temperature, but hardly worth the saving
of a thermostat. =20
Thermostat and thermometer together cost me some =A330 ($45). More expensive
now, I suppose, but a small price to pay for perfect control from warming to
liquifying honey and melting wax.
All the information you need for honey treatment of all kinds will be found
in Dadant's Hive and the Honey Bee,  a book which should be on every
beekeeper's bookshelf.                    Sid P. =20
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England