Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 23:49:00 -0400
Here's one from the honeybeeworld.com forum.
---

The buckwheat farmer just called me at 10pm tonight. I had moved some weaker hives and nucs to the smaller buckwheat field for them to put on some weight for winter.

The farmer also grows other crops. He has a field of soybeans within 1/4 mile of the hives, and he wants to have the soybeans sprayed with Warrior II to control aphids. It will be applied with an airplane either tomorrow or Sunday.

Warrior II with Zeon Technology is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or to residues on blooming crops and weeds. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift onto blooming plants if bees are foraging in the treated area.
http://www.syngentacropprotection.com/p ... rodid=1052

From what I can find online, it seems that beekeepers consider Warrior to be one of the 'safer' pesticides to use around bees.

At the closest, the Warrior would have to drift over a strip of alfalfa that was recently cut (not blooming) and across a strip of sudan grass.
The soybeans are not blooming.
The field of buckwheat is on the other side of the bees even farther from the beans.

The only thing blooming that I am concerned about with drift is that there is some jewel weed along the edge of the beanfield by the woods.

I move hives by hand, and I don't like the idea of moving 20 hives early tomorrow morning, and then moving them back in after a day or two.

It is supposed to be 90+ degrees tomorrow, so I hate closing up the hives in this weather. However, it would be easier to screen hives than to move them. Should I give each hive a frame feeder or a hive top feeder full of water so they can keep cool? Or pour water in the styrofoam nucs? (Nucs are just as easy to move though.)

The farmer said he hadn't thought about spraying when he told me I could put the hives there. I appreciate him letting me know though.

Has anyone had bees around Warrior II spraying before? How concerned do I need to be?