From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:49:16 -0500
Hello James,

> Would you like to come to Jackson, New Jersey and capture a small new hive
for yourself?

Sounds interesting but think I will pass and only advise.

> Can we safely wait for the cold of the winter to remove it all?

I would remove the swarm before long.

> We have worries of the ceiling coming down and bees coming into the house.

damp sheetrock easily  fall releasing the brood nest into the room..

> What would you do in our situation?

What I would do and what you would do are probably different.

If I were you I would contact a professional or a beekeeper in the area and
see if he would help.

To remove the offending hive I would go into the attic and bee vac up all
the bees from the comb.  Remove the comb. clean up the mess . I would let
you replace the  sheetrock as I only do bee removal when the people are
desperate and the others will not help. I do charge for bee removal in my
area and base my fee on the amount of time spent on the project. Those doing
bee removal for a living in our area say my fees are below their fees. I
have always treated people the way I like to be treated. Don't let a
professional BS you and try to charge a couple thousand dollars for 2-3 hour
bee removal.  Get a close estimate from the bee remover or you will be at
their mercy.

. A attic brood nest between rafters with only insulation around them is a
easy bee removal. Don't forget to plug the entrance as swarms like to swarm
to places bees have nested before.

I sell a bee removal video but would recommend getting a beekeeper (with a
bee vac) or a professional.  Cost is always cheaper if you replace the
ceiling damage yourself.

Hope I have helped!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison