From:
Deborah Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2017 14:24:15 -0400
Hi all,

I have been keeping colonies on the roof of a connex box (shipping container)for seven years now. The bees have never been an issue for employees working on the ground until this week. I inspected the colonies on Sunday, and while I did use smoke and keep boxes covered during inspections, I did have a few bees following me by the end. Now I have guard bees coming off the roof and harassing my husband when he is working on the ground to move equipment that is stored near the connex box (he did not go on the roof). The area usually is just for long term storage, but some of the equipment was needed for a job this week, and while my husband has a bee jacket, he also has employees that work at the yard (though he is keeping them out of the area for now).

I went on the roof this morning and walked up and down in front and behind the hives and watched the entrances within 3 feet and did not have a bee inspect me until I was on my way down the ladder, so I cannot tell if one hive is more defensive than the others.

Any suggestions to calm these guards down and get them back on the roof? I am hoping that a few days of quiet will keep them from bothering people on the ground. Colonies were queenright or in the process of requeening after a split when I inspected.

Thanks,

Debbie in Maryland