From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2015 08:26:43 -0500
Robin;

Interesting post on Langstroth hives.  I just finished up a 2 year
beekeeping development project in the Republic of Georgia where the
beekeepers asked us to help them convert from Dadant Blatt (the old deep
(and heavy) Langstroth) hives to what you call the Root hive.  By-the-way,
the Georgians call the modern hive a 'Langstroth'.  Most Georgians move
their hives 3 times a year and the Dadant Blatt hives are big and heavy and
most had minimal hand holds.  The Georgians I worked with were small
beekeepers but semi commercial with 100 or so hives.  Our project
beneficiaries are busy converting to modern hives and I think most of them
really like the smaller hives.  I should mention that many Dadant Blatt
hive keepers also use one honey super and pull frames of ripe honey, not
whole supers.  This saves equipment but is very labor intensive.
Introducing the use of multiple honey supers is a bit revolutionary in
Georgia but my clients really appreciate the time savings and the ease of
moving a smaller hive with hand holds and or cleats.

It is impressive to see a Dadant Blatt hive come through the winter, as
they seem particularly well suited for cold climates with the large combs
and wide bodies.   Most Georgians use follower boards, a sheet of canvas
over the frames, and a straw or quilted cotton mattress on top under a
large telescoping cover.  I used to have some large hive bodies when I
started beekeeping 40 years ago and they were called 'jumbos' at the time.
I inherited them from an older beekeeper when I bought him out and got rid
of them as I wanted a uniform hive body that I could move by myself.

I read all the time about Warre hives and top bar hives and the various
hive types in vogue with various interest groups but wonder if anyone in
the US is still using the old jumbos?  Maybe use of jumbos for stationary
beekeepers would solve some of the overwintering problems?  Jumbos/Dandant
Blatts are in heavy use in Eastern Europe, Russia, and the Caucasus regions
where the winters are long and cold.

Bill Lord
beekeeping consulting for development.com
Louisburg, NC