Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 16:38:45 -0500
> I am not clear if that product - Orego-stim - is actually sold in the
> States or Canada. Oregostim is made by an UK company
> http://www.orego-stim.com/

I googled it and it seems not to be sold in the US but it is sold world
wide, mainly in chicken feed.

I did go on the oregano/thymol essential oils bandwagon and am completely
off it now. My experience is that it does not work for nosema or Varroa in
cold climates like Maine.

Thymol applications like apiguard and apilife var do work here. But I am
going with Formic acid which gave the best results last year.

A s a complete aside. We have had a mild winter and are in an early warming
spring. The bees are fine around Maine, but expect losses later because of
the early warming and potential problems with starvation. If the forcasts I
read last year are correct, and so far they have been, we will see a
cooling in April and a return to "winter" and then the real, albeit short,
spring, just like we had last year. Terrible for bees. Many years ago, when
the same thing happened, I lost a roaring colony that looked like June but
in April. All it took was four days of freezing weather and they died. (We
were in DC for a wedding.) Classic starvation with loads of stores only an
inch away. That is when I learned about putting candy right on top of the
cluster.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine