From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 14:35:32 -0700
Jonathan Ruel wrote:

> We did a hive removal last week on the campus of the local university.  The
> subterranean hive was located in an irrigation switch box.

The first AHB sample I identified from Flagstaff in June of 1997 came from a
large irrigation box near the center of NAU.

> do not believe they were very Africanized because they were not at all
> aggressive.

Our experience has been that maybe 2/3 of AHB colonies are reasonable, esp.
when small.

> had surely overwintered there.

Brrrrrrrrrr.   Maybe it was a warm winter ??

> Jonathan Ruel
> Flagstaff, AZ
> 35 deg N, 111 deg W
> 7,000 ft elevation

--two people from Arizona on the same list - what are the chances ??
John F. Edwards
"Feral Bee Tracker and AHB Identifier"
Carl Hayden Bee Research Center
Tucson, Arizona 85719