From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:13:01 -0000
Isis Glass wrote:
> These new findings ... will *supplement* rather than overturn
> our understanding of inheritance and controlled breeding. A lot of people
> are uncomfortable with the idea that science is constantly rewriting
> itself.

Perhaps the supplement, by its sheer size and importance will overshadow, if
not overturn, our understanding.  The new findings, if proven to be
accurate, do not (it seems to me) directly contradict our previous
understanding of the mechanism of inheritance by the passing on of genetic
material - they add a huge new layer on top which provides answers to some
of the anomalies which we unable to explain previously.

As for science re-writing itself, it was ever thus - and, until until we
know everything about everything, that will continue - even if it causes
some people discomfort!

Peter Edwards