From:
"Scott L. Wiegel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:51:52 -0600
I am currently considering using HFCS55 as a substitute for sucrose
(sugar syrup using C&H Table sugar) and have been following this
conversation (and related conversations) for a long time now.  I find
the data and resultant conclusions to be confusing.

The previous poster points out two studies that seem to support that
sugar syrup feed is better for the bees.  But neither of the studies
actually states this.

> Different Processing methods are used to produce HFCS. And yes, some
are
> deadly. Good overview is available at
> http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/elibrary/archive/hort/bee/carbo.htm

It seems that everyone agrees that there is a right way and a wrong way
to produce bee food from corn starch.  Since there is universal
agreement on this point - I will leave it alone.

But the conclusion of this study is that both HFCS55 and Sucrose are
usable by the bees and not apparently harmful.  In addition, this study
points out many advantages in cost (time, labor, and feed) for HFCS55
over sucrose.  I ask, if it is easier and cheaper for the beekeeper -
why not use HFCS55?  The only answer is that it is harmful to the bees
(and this is your primary consideration in choice of feed).

> Studies show that sucrose syrup produces highest survival rates of
bees on
> supplemental feed.
> http://www.beesource.com/pov/usda/apidologie1978.htm

Actually, this seems to be misrepresenting the data presented in the
report.  The summary states:

"Honey or high fructose corn syrup fed to worker bees failed to show any
advantage over sucrose syrup. Grape syrup caused dysentery and reduced
survival. Caged bees survived longest on sucrose syrup."

So, apparently this study showed no advantage to the bees when fed
HFCS55.  So the question is - is there anything harmful to this
practice?  Someone asserts that the highest survival rates of bees was
due to sucrose - and the report does state that - but it was a
comparison of sucrose and grape syrup.  The report states:

"The differences between honey, sucrose, and high fructose corn syrup
were not statistically significant for any of these measurements"

This means that given the health of honey bees as your primary
consideration - there is no statistical difference between HFCS55,
Honey, and sucrose.

So, again I ask, If there is no difference in the health of the honey
bee colony; and it is easier and cheaper for the beekeeper - why
shouldn't we be feeding HFCS55 as the preferred source of winter feed?

This seems to be a straightforward decision supported by science and
various research efforts.