From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:45:21 EST
A point made but missed in the TM resistant AFB discussion, is that
evolution ("survival of the fittest") IS alive and well, or as P-O
Guftafsson wrote, "The natural selection that was first showed by Darwin
is still valid."  Yes, this is true, but the statement, "By feeding
drugs this mechanism is set aside, and the natural control of the
disease destroyed" is flawed.  Whether antibiotics are "natural" or not
is irrelevant, they're here and have been so for decades.

Natural selection is a system, it's mathematics, it's linear algebra,
multivariate matrix analysis if you will.  Whether natural flame or
synthetic antibiotic of controlled breeding or natural selection over
time, either for bees or bacteria, these are all variables that come
to bear on the issue.

Left to it's own devices, the bacteria that causes AFB will be optimized
and a colony of honeybees will collapse.  Natural selection dictates
that over time either a resistant strain of honeybee will evolve or
the bacteria will achieve total victory and honeybees will cease to
exist.  This didn't happen for centuries before mankind started mucking
with the equations and it's doubtful that this will happen in the
future.  Sometimes fire is used as the control mechanism.  The
multivariate matrix then shows that ashes are optimized, bees and
bacteria (in that particular colony) are minimized and "control" is
achieved.  Other times antibiotics (something we would not call
"natural") are introduced into the multivariate matrix analysis.
Increase the weight of the antibiotic variable and Bacillus apis is
minimized and Apis m. is maximized.  Drop the antibiotic weight to zero
and AFB makes a comeback.  Keep the antibiotic at a constant level and
susceptible bacillus apis drops, but over time a resistant strain
flourishes, and again, either a resistant strain of Apis m. evolves or
Apis m. ceases to exist.  But this evolution process takes time (also a
variable in the analysis matrix) and it's this time variable that we
beekeepers don't have the patience to allow, mainly for economic reasons
as Allen points out.  There are prominent names in the industry who
claim that we should neither be burning or using antibiotics as a
control, rather we should be looking to breed the resistant strain.  But
in the meantime, most beekeepers aren't about to get off whatever
treatment treadmill they are on and watch their colonies collapse in
hopes of stumbling across the resistant colony.  Some will treat, some
will burn, but few will wait for researchers and/or breeders to come up
with the super bee.  And will that bee ever be found or bred?  AFB
resistant bees may be easy pickin's for varroa or tracheal mites or
such a breed may make Africanized bees look like kittens!

So, what to do?  Ban imports of Argentinean honey?  It ain't a gonna
happen.  And who's to say that the resistant strain of Bacillus apis
identified in Argentina hasn't already arrived in other areas, perhaps
even (GASP!) New Zealand!?  Well, if it made it to New Zealand I can
rest assured that it was burned there, but perhaps the resistant strain
made it to Alberta, where it would rear it's ugly resistant head and
finally get burned after it doesn't respond to treatment.  What if
the resistant strain makes it to Minnesota?  Well, General Mills will
sell a bazillion boxes of cereal and researchers will look for answers.
Meanwhile, beekeepers in California will quietly resort to sulfa drugs,
which used to work but have since been removed from the arsenal of legal
weapons to protect us from ourselves.  But sulfa would kick those
resistant butts!  Have I missed anyone?  I hope Hawaii doesn't feel
slighted.

And although the last paragraph was written somewhat tongue-in-cheek,
herein lies the solution.  Going back to the multivariate analysis,
it's numbers, it's natural selection, it's mother nature.  Do numbers
care, does nature care?  Not one iota, it's beekeepers who care!  The
solution is to be aware of the problem.  Whether addressed with a match
or an antibiotic or a doctorate, awareness is the first step.  Thanks to
Allen for heightening our awareness, thanks to Malcolm (Tom) Sanford
for making us aware in the first place, and thanks to all those who have
added to this discussion.  Personally I will resolve to be a better
beekeeper in 1997 and keep my fingers crossed that the resistant strain
doesn't show up in my neck of the woods.  And if it does, I'll deal with
it as best as I can with the resources I have.  FLAME ON!

Merry Christmas to all, God bless us every one!
Aaron Morris