From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:36:29 -0600
> This link was broken when I tried it, but I am assuming the
> information is the same.

Yes.  Exactly the same.

> What would/could a beekeeper do (beekeeping oriented) in the days
> before and the days after the conference?

Good question.

There are quite a number of highly advanced large commercial beekeeping
operations within a half-hour's drive from Edmonton, and the owners are
usually happy to entertain visitors, and give a tour.  That is not too
hard to arrange.  Weather turns cold around the beginning of November,
so hives are wrapped or stored in indoor wintering facilities, and there
is no outdoor bee work underway.  I don't think anything has been
arranged at this point, but maybe something will, if there is demand.

I personally live three hours from Edmonton and haven't decided, at this
point, when to arrive in Edmonton. My wife hasn't told me yet.  Since
I'm retired from the bee business, and not involved in the ABA, if I
went early, it would likely be to spend time at the Mall or hook up with
the beekeepers who will undoubtedly be lounging around the hotel while
their wives shop.

Personally, when I go to a distant meeting, I usually plan to stay a few
extra days, in case I make new friends or meet old friends at the
meeting and we spontaneously decide on doing something after the event.
These things are easier to arrange at the meeting than in advance.
Usually, it is simply a matter of asking new acquaintances if they mind
having a visit.  If enough BEE-L people decided to attend, maybe a group
activity could be planned.

At any rate, if nothing comes up, the Mall can keep anyone entertained
for a week without ever stepping outdoors.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/