From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:18:02 -0500
I would say the picture has changed quite a bit from 23 years ago in commercial beekeeping.

In my area 23 years ago there were six commercial operations.
One left.
Pp
23 years ago ln north east Nebraska there were five commercial operations.
One left.

Same with places in Iowa.

Both the Ahpa & abf put the number of commercial beekeepers less than a thousand.
(Personal conversation)

Many beekeepers think even the thousand figure would only  be reached counting seasonal help and what we call "box movers" help.

I have read similar numbers as Pete posted and based on my knowledge of the bee industry feel the.number of 2000
Commercial is not accurate.

What do others on the list think?

2000 or less than a 1000 today?

I do not believe many active commercial U.S. beekeepers are on BEE-l

I would guess 10 to 20 tops out of around a thousand members?

I really do not.know.the size today of the list?

Aaron?

I would guess quite a few might read BEE-l from the web but never post or join.

Bob