From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:40:38 -0600
Garth wrote:
 Not wanting to use pesticide to kill them, I tried using a
> Hydrogen sulphide (H2S) supposedly highly toxic.
> Hydrogen Sulphide is an excellent way of chasing a swarm out of a
> tight corner. (dangerous though) It also seems to calm the bees.

In a really peculiar coincidence,  on Tuesday I was taking the last supers
from a yard of bees that is about 100 yards (meters?) from a gas well that
was being serviced. This field is a sour gas field, and there was a mild
smell of H2S carried to us on the wind which was blowing directly from the
rig toward me. I remarked on how peaceful my bees were when I got home but
I did not make the connection with the H2S. The concentration was
extremely low, so the effect must be quite powerful.

Best regards,

Donald Aitken
11710-129 Street
Edmonton Alberta Canada