Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:18:11 GMT
>>Could this mean CCD is not substantially
affecting ferals?

I have not heard of or seen any CCD in ferals.  I have also not heard of CCD in managed colonies in suburbia in my area.  CCD may need crowding or being close to crowded apiaries to spread after the bees become weakened by other agents (mites, ag chems etc.) [In humans, infectious diseases declined dramatically by the 1940's (US gov't statistics) when crowding in the cities eased up, water was treated, and food refrigeration & better food standards make for a healthier environment.]

Ferals by their nature are spread far apart - I did remove 3 colonies out of single cinder block wall last summer but that was a rare exception - and, at least in suburbia, are not subjected to massive or systemic insecticides.  This is my guess since I don't know for sure exceeding what tipping point(s) bring on CCD.

Other than the 3 feral colonies (not the ones from the cinder block wall) last year that had quite a few mites, the rest have been very healthy, vibrant, and content (gentle).  The 3 with the mites may have been swarms from managed colonies (?) as they did have different coloration (more of the Italian look).  The best feral have more darker bees and the very best have had black drones.

Waldemar