From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 07:15:00 -0600
> Personally, I prefer setting the package in the hive next to 5
> frames and setting the queen cage right there on top of the package
> where the bees are exiting (adjacent to feeder-can hole).  No
> dumping, squashing, or en masse-disoriented flight.  The bees
> naturally go "up" to exit and so come in contact with q cage right
> away to keep her warm.

<snip>

WARNING: Although this may well often work for an experienced
beekeeper in the right climate, at the right time, it will not work
all the time.  I have heard *many* varied tales of woe from those who
have tried this method.

And, it is a serious problem where the weather is cool or unsettled.
 When people do this they often go back to find the bees still in
the cage, building comb in the empty space, or that the queen has
been abandoned and died.

If one has only a few packages to install, and plans to go back and
check soon, this type of method may be okay.

But, if you have hundreds and don't want to go back until after four
days -- and don't want to lose your investment, there is no
substitute for direct installation -- namely dump them in, release
the queen, put the frame back in, close the lid and go away.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>