From:
Stefan Stangaciu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:31:28 +0100
Ted Fischer wrote:

> This is interesting.  I have never heard of using myrtle oil, which you
say
>is an essential oil.  How is it applied - with a fume board?   How well
does
>it  repel bees?  Could this be used in clearing a super of bees for
harvesting
>honey, much as we do with butyric anhydride now?  It would be wonderful if
>some less noxious substitute could be used in place of butyric anhydride.

        I will send to ALL interested people, from this "List", as soon as
possible, a description of the methodology of using myrtle oil instead of
the classical smoker, and a general description of the device which can be
later ordered directly in Germany.

        Because I will be not able to contact you via Internet for about 8-9
days after February 19, please send me as soon as possible your requests of
info on this issue at my private e-mail address:

>However, on the subject if smoking bees:  There are right ways and wrong
ways
>to do this.  In my experience with Italian bees, a light puff at the
entrance
>30 seconds before lifting the cover, and then a single light puff under the
>inner cover is usually all that is necessary for working a hive.  It is
hard
>for me to get this across to new helpers in the yard, who often think it is
>necessary to make it look like the whole place is afire!  If the colony
won't
>settle down with a gentle puff it is time to requeen it.
>
>Ted Fischer
>Dexter, Michigan USA.

        Yes, your other comments are also interesting and correct.

        For honey quality contests (especially if microscopical tests are
done) you might use the myrtle oil method.

        Kind regards,

    Stefan Stangaciu, MD, LAcup.
       Constanta, Romania