From:
David Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2017 09:20:21 -0400
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I read here that queens can be infected with DWV and found this article from Nature - https://www.nature.com/articles/srep33065

The article does not go into what such an infection might look like in the field much. It seems to suggest that infected queens would probably die young.

I and another  local beekeeper have seen single 'walking workers' with deformed wings either inside or outside the colony already this spring but sugar rolls have not revealed any mites. It seems kind of early for DWV outbreaks and both of these colonies started in April from packages. The queens otherwise seem OK, although in the one I saw the bees had started supercedure cells. Otherwise the package had seemed to build up OK.

Is it possible that an infected queen would lay just a few infected workers but otherwise apppear OK?