From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:24:16 +1000
Joe wrote

> I read in an article in one of the bee mags about 10 or more years ago
> that stated chalk brood has some fatty acid known as linoleic acid, which
> has antimicrobial activity against bacterial honeybee pathogens.
> Linoleic acid is found in in vegtable oils, and in higher amounts in
> peanut oil.  You can perhaps google linoleic acid and foulbrood and get
> some info.

I remembered that there was some research done in Australia on fatty acids
against AFB and EFB.  It can be found at
http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/HBE/03-028.pdf

This study found that linoleic was inactive against EFB.  There were some
that were and I am not sure where this research is heading.  Will have to
ask.

The article you most likely read is the one by Shimanuki et al which is
listed in the references in the above research.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA