From:
Lucinda Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 20:21:24 +0100
Sorry,

After writing this post I realise I'm asking the AHB question again...

In unconnected posts Martin Damus offered the view that importing many
beestrains was good for variability, and James Kilty stressed the importance
of breeding from our local  bees. I'm sure they're both correct...
Can anyone help me understand this from a GENETIC viewpoint please?
I am aware there are a lot of other implications
to importation, but I am trying to understand (still) the scientific extent
of differences between the Apis mellifera honeybees, and the effects of
hybridisation between them. Is the cross between Greek Buckfasts and
English Buckfasts a new strain? What defines a 'race' of bee?

 It is quite possible I lack some totally basic knowledge, so a pointer to a
good primer page (or book) will be welcomed if that is the answer. I can't
get past the level of chromosomes only combining in one individual before
nature separates them again, let alone understanding what a gene pool
really means on my own.

Thinks in advance.
John Sewell
" In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities" Suzuki.