From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:14:20 -0600
Charlie, once again you start a post by telling someone that they have a problem with their thinking.  But since we are friends, I will nevertheless reply politely : )

 Fortunately friends can disagree.  I was referring  to Anderson and a few others, but don’t be like others and assume a disagreement was intend as personal!

 Not all of us want to follow what California does.  In fact this election one could argue shows exactly the opposite.  When in CA I walk into restaurants and hotels with "cancer causing agent" signs everywhere.  So for some of us we see some of the things done there in your state as shall we say politely,  "a bit much"  and would prefer not to get to that point.

While Brents issue is unfortunate,  more regulations and laws are not the answer. In this case seed companies obviously have some responsibility.  But adding a legal cause so that someone has grounds to sue,  is in my opinion,  well fill in the blank with the word of your choice.

We as beekeepers want to forget  we are trespassers,  almost 100%. And yet we want to pass rules and regulations and ways to sue,  we will be persona no grata if we continue.

We saw this in the US in the 70's when suddenly landowners were responsible for people who were hunting or fishing on their property. Suddenly places to hunt and fish were and remain, off limits.  If we continue this path,  we will see the same issue for beekeepers.  Maybe not in our short future,  but long term,  it will happen.

Right now we are pretty much given unfettered access to forage.  Should we head down the path your proposing,  that will change,  I promise that.  You have a slight perk in CA as the almonds need you,  but in the rest of the country that relationship is not as biased.  We will get banned from a lot of land if we are litigious, instead of cooperative.

I think the saying is you can attract more bees with honey......

Charles