Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:58:53 GMT
If I am the cause of pollution in my neighborhood, I'm responsible for it affecting my neighbors.  If my dumpster is open and the contents blow onto my neighbors farm, it is my responsibility to clean it up.  If my herd of goats escapes and eats your hedge, it is my responsibility.

Monsanto's official position is that if their (or their customer's) pollen blows onto my field and pollinates my crops, they will not prosecute _if_ the contamination is BOTH inadvertent (open to interpretation) AND is only present in "trace amounts" (again, lots of interpretation possible here).

I'm responsible for keeping your pollen off of my crops.  I'm not responsible for keeping your dogs, chickens, farm runoff, guests, children, etc off my property...they belong to you, and they are your responsibility.  Apparently, Monsanto feels that their pollen is free to go where it will and it is your responsibility to keep it off your crops.  Good luck with that.

I'm unaware of any such case that actually made it to the courts, but Monsanto's position is clearly stated by Monsanto.  It's also worth noting that (in the text below) that Monsanto maintains that "inadvertent trace amounts" is a violation of it's patent rights...but that they won't exercise them in such circumstances.

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/commitment-farmers-patents.aspx
"It has never been, nor will it be Monsanto policy to exercise its patent rights where trace amounts of our patented seed or traits are present in farmer's fields as a result of inadvertent means. "