Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:39:27 -0600
> I understand that additives are generally well thought of in North
> America.  I am told that you are really spoilt for choice. Is that really
> true?  Here there is nothing at all unless you make something yourself.
> So I have done a bit of reading round and find that a mix of Water, Sugar,
> Spearmint Oil and Lemongrass Oil appears to be a recipe of choice.
> Lecithin is added as an emulsifier and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is also added
> but I have not much idea what it does.

This question did not get much of an answer.

I, for one, have stayed away from feed additives since a lot of the
discussion seems rather unscientific and dosages, timing, etc. are vague.
That said, I added thymol to feed this summer and fall at ~ 1/2 g /gallon
and notice that the bees seem to notice and take the syrup better than
without.  Some claim benefits such as nosema control and mite control, too,
but I know little of that there are some credible studies which bear on the
matter somewhat and I have mentioned them in my diaries this year, but I
can't point to exactly where.  Sometime since March, I think.
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary

Others swear by Honey B Healthy and imitations, but I really don't know.

I do feed pollen patties with soy and yeast and find they do quite a bit of
good.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?