From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:55:50 -0400
We are immediately adjacent to New England, with both Vermont and Mass.
about 40 miles away.
 I have seen SHB twice. Three years ago I had a serious infestation in one
yard where I was trapping pollen. One day I was collecting pollen and found
two drawers where there were so many larvae that the pollen moved with their
activity! Hundreds in each drawer, and not in adjacent hives. I could not
find adults in the hives or the drawers.
 For what seemed like weeks I dumped the larvae and pollen into seperate
bags and burned them. Eventually, there was no more larvae and I haven't
seen any since in that yard.
 This year I saw one hive with the adults. And the adults were there every
time I opened the hive, until I took off the supers (when I didn't see any).
No problems or evidence in the honey house.
 I have just one yard on sandy soil, and have never seen SHB in that yard
(but the soil is full of termites and any board left on the ground will be
fully infested in about 3 weeks). My hope is that the combination of
'typical' rocky hard soil and cold winters are holding back the infestations
that come from the migratory crowd plus packages.
 Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.