From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:11:29 -0400
>> Where was this said?

> American Bee Journal, June 2008:

> "In 2007 we analyzed pollen (bee bread and
> trapped pollen) and wax for pesticide residues."

OK, but this is VERY different from what was claimed
in Deknow's post.  Deknow was interpreting the article
to say that miticides were being found in trapped
pollen. I asked about that specific issue.

Not having seen the article, and lacking any more
specific quote about the specific results from the
trapped pollen, I'm going to conclude that the article
was misinterpreted on that point.

> With or without the addition of PBO or other adjuvants,
> fluvalinate is now considered to be a highly toxic
> material to honey bees. Based on its prevalence in wax,
> wide-spread resistance in varroa and its toxicity to
> honey bees, fluvalinate appears to have outlived is
> usefulness.

Was the above quoted for the article, or Peter's opinion?
Either way, beg to differ.

Funny, down in VA, Apistan strips still work fine on varroa.
Strange, out on Long Island, they also work great there.
If those varroa are resistant, they are apparently running
away in fear that the Apistan strips might be Check-Mite.  :)

Maybe the difference is that these are two areas that are
both "off the beaten path" in terms of migratory bees, and
are areas where beekeepers tend to be able to read and
willing to follow the instructions to the letter, including
the unwritten rule about checking mite drops both before
and AFTER treatment to verify that treatments are working.

And the trick with "prevalence in wax" is that one needs
to recycle frames on a regular schedule to prevent such
build-ups.