From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:49:17 -0500
> Bob (or others) I'd like to hear your observations on auger holes in each
> brood box during summer.

I do not use augur holes but do own used equipment I have purchased  with
augur holes. I really do not have an opinion either way except when selling
used equipment .

Most commercial beekeepers buying used equipment would rather not buy
equipment with auger holes. Also with slats but some will tolerate slats on
the ends but not on the sides.

In areas of cold winters with white equipment the bees always seem to poop
coming out the auger holes and is unsightly, However the situation does not
bother me enough to go from hive to hive with a cleaner cleaning up after
the girls!

Some races tend to enlarge auger holes over time which can provide an
entrance for mice.

bob