From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:18:29 -0800
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

  "The problem many of us face on this list is when we see something that
is wrong we respond to it. Generally it is to someone who tried something and it worked but has nothing but anecdotal evidence that what they did was the reason for their success."

  Response:  Quite true, Bill.  And I don't mean we turn a blind eye to ignorant practices, and if I was making a mistake or doing something foolish to endanger my honey, I'd hope someone would point it out to me.  But most people resent correction and constructive criticism.

  It seems our gentle corrections, our helpful advice, even our own experience comes across as somewhat belligerent or argumentative at times.  The media of e-mail doesn't do justice to the essence of what we are trying to communicate either.

  And sometimes you have to let people learn on their own.  Even a horse choking on salt will refuse to drink from the well you led it to.

  And when someone KNOWS it all, especially anecdotally of how their bees never looked better, our helpful advice seems intrusive.  I can't blame them for getting defensive.  And as these anecdotal experts are have now become "package bee buyers," I humbly hold my tongue rather than say, "I told you so."  I've made enough mistakes of my own that I don't need to remind others of theirs.

  I appreciate the forum, even those with whom I may disagree or not share the same thoughts (often mistaken for disagreement).

  Grant
  Jackson, MO