From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2017 21:36:59 -0400
a Peter Borst snip...
They mean more than that; they often mean a debt larger than a home mortgage ...

But beyond that, I work in a lab full of twenty-somethings working for their degrees. They are the most hard working, forward looking bunch of young folks you can possibly imagine. Getting the PhD means a lot to them.

my comments...
I see the same thing here Peter at the Texas A&M (Rangel) Bee Lab.  Smart, hard working and very socially conscious.  Not all but most are quite focused on a PhD and in doing good research < most early on can get a bit confused in thinking their research should always generate 'significant results'.... but as us old hands know that science does not work out that way.

I am thinking that the prior post Peter in using the word 'Title' (in context to the US Navy) does not necessarily mean exactly what you might think.

Gene in central Texas