Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 12:43:26 -0700
--- On Mon, 9/7/09, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Sorry, can't find the thread, but Kirk stated that colonies that had had theseal of the lid cracked did not winter well in his cold climate.  On theother hand, many suggest that top ventilation, via some sort of opening is critical.
.
I respond with anecdotal experience only.  I had hives (ten or less) in Indiana north of Indianapolis in the early 1980's.  This was before screened bottom boards.  I would over winter my hives with two brood chambers, open entrances sometimes reduced with entrance reducers, and with blocks of wood (3/4" X 3/4") between my inner and outer covers.  I was fortunate that I never lost any of my colonies in that period of time.  Looking back I am convinced that part of my luck was due to adequate ventilation to carry the moisture out of the hives.  Now with screened bottom boards  and living in southern Alabama, I am not so concerned with moisture buildup in the hive during the winter.

Mike in Lower Alabama