From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:43:56 +0100
It seems that there may be a cross-resistance between pytrethroids and
amitraz in varroa mites in the USA. Yes, of course Miticure strips WERE
effective [several years ago] but that was before the advent of pyrethroid
resistance there. The situation could be different in Europe as the mite
populations, even the species are probably different from those in the USA.

However, there are many cases of apparent amitraz resistance showing up all
over Europe. This is not new - there has been amitraz resistance in varroa
in Eastern Europe for many years, due to illegal and improper use of the
substance.

Coumaphos resistance is now widespread in Italy also.

If the varroa mite uses similar detoxification mechanisms to get rid of
these different pesticides then cross-resistance is a possibility.

It has yet to be proven. What it does mean is that Integrated Pest
Management for varroa control is even more important now. We need to use a
range of techniques and treatments rather than rely on one magic bullet.

Max

Dr Max Watkins
Vita (Europe) Limited
Brook House, Alencon Link