From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:01:49 -0800
Hi to all on BEE-L

Allen Dick wrote that besides trachael mites are back
again:

*I would advise all readers to get samples to a lab for
tracheal tests ASAP if they have not been treating, and to
begin to consider immediate treatment options.  Although TM
losses often occur in winter, they can continue into
spring and one or two simple early treatments can save
hives that otherwise may suddenly die unexpectedly.*

Reply:
This is exactly the reason we went to smaller 4.9mm
foundation from the 5.0-5.1mm size we had just finished
regressing our bees to.

They were living (with other commercial around us not
regressing) but not making us a living anymore. When we
first came out of trachael mites they did fine, but then
varroa showed up. The double wammy with both mites and La
Nina was a bad combination of stress on our bees. Chemicals
only serve to bring mites up to their full reproductive
potential and make the pesticide treadmill worse by always
meaning more chemicals be used to supress a worsening
scenario.

We decided not to supress, we decided to eliminate and
start over. This we did without various doping of
chemicals, drugs, essential oils, and acids. But it is an
extremely hard road to retool not for the faint of mind.
You must put your bees through withdrawal like addicts and
watch and cry. It is sad having to do this.

But then they get better,like former addicts have gotten
better.

What a sad state. Not dope and lose perhaps 90% to all and
withdrawal that loses 90% also, that maybe should have died
a long time ago, if nature would have had her way, and man
did not cheat.

Life is hard.

Clean sustainable beekeeping is not easy.

An omen by Allen on things to come?

REgards,

Dee