From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:18:02 -0500
> This year is going to be a bad year be you a corn grower or raiser of
> hogs.

I was surprised at the number of farmers I asked which did not buy crop
insurance. Those that did said in some cases would not cover costs.

.> 60% chance of rain tomorrow.

Our weatherman always puts rain in the forecast but the problem is these are
not drought busters and few showers are seen .many farmers say now will be
too late for our area corn.

>If we get it, it'll be the first in over 40 days.

Light rain only wets the top soil. Our subsoil moisture is gone. USDA says
dry powder five feet down in the worst areas. When the wind is blowing and
temps around a 100F. the USDA  says you can lose a quarter inch of moisture
a day from the surface moisture.

.
We checked several fields of soybeans yesterday. Not growing with blue &
white blooms but no beans yet. Even a light rain might save. We saw no bees
working the beans but was around 9 am.

I about was run off from the farmers gathering at the local restaurant.
Farmers driving brand new pickups say they might have to get a job in town.
(usually the wife goes to work in town).

I offer a job pulling honey supers but the offer is quickly rejected.

I suggest a job as a greeter at Wal-Mart or flipping burgers at the local
McDonalds.

bob