From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:08:21 +0800
Like Randy I too have become very skeptical about the "common  sense" views in beekeeping which I previously followed since that was the accepted norm Randy referred to one which has in fact become one of my pet hates, that is the ventilated cover or hive lid commonly used in Australia. It is in fact the standard "migratory" lid used here and is an abomination in my view.
For our northern hemisphere colleagues who may be unfamiliar with these, it sits on top of the hive fitting flush with the sides with no overhang or cleats. It is approximately 2" deep and has a thin metal sheeting cover to protect the masonite top from the elements. More often than not, it has 2 holes in each end, 1" in diameter, for "ventilation".These are covered with perforated tinplate on the inside of the hive so that the bees cannot use them as top entrances.

I suspect that these evolved some 50 or so years ago when trucks had limited horsepower, and tray space for shifting hives was also therefore, very limited, so overhanging lids which spaced the hives further apart were seen as disadvantageous.

They actually provide very little ventilation, insufficient in my experience to be of any real value. What they do provide however, is an ideal residence for all manner of spiders, which in this part of the world are almost invariably venomous. The lid itself can become an extra honey storage space for honey since most beekeepers allow the bees to have access to this space For some this is considered an asset, but I regard it as a major handicap in normal hive manipulations creating a very messy situation whenever the lid is removed, so my bees are denied access to this space by an inner mat.
However their biggest drawbacks are the tendency to fly off during transport, despite all manner of strapping and tie down arrangements designed to prevent this, and their complex (and innefficient) design and therefore unnecessarily high cost. Yet they still remain the standard lid in use in Australia today. Thats "Common sense" at work!
One day I shall be rid of these things....but that's another "gunna" job, of which I seem to have an endless supply.

PeterD