From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2016 16:02:07 -0300
On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 2:34 PM, randy oliver wrote:

> We truly need a Standard of Identity for honey in the U.S.

http://apiaraucania.blogspot.cl/2013/01/honeylogy-o-mielogia.html

A couple of years ago I wanted to do a PhD, but since I'm a Loco who has
always lived with "special permits" had to try something new.

This is the letter to the Faculty of Enology at the University of Davis,
California where I proposed the creation of a new science or discipline. No
luck with Enology (to much envy and risk for them), but fine with
FoodScience where I was derived and in principle accepted.

In the end I thought that I was old for such madness and desisted.

I publish here the proposal to see if there is any other madman who hold
the post.

I still think it is an excellent proposal and a necessary one to dignify
honey and beekeeping.

---------------

*Honeylogy*
Adding Value Through Knowledge In Beekeeping
by Juanse Barros J.

How to create a new science? What comes first, the chicken or the egg? Is
social marketing enough to add value?
Even though honey has been with mankind before wine, wine has created a
science of its own: Oenology.
Despite the fact that honey was probably the first source of sugar to
create a type of inebriating drink, mead, it doesn’t have the status of
wine.
Is it only the ancient desire of mankind to inebriate itself that has given
wine its history? Is it the adaptation of *Vitis vinifera* to an industrial
cultivation what has permitted the existence of modern oenology? Is the
status of wine today related to the creation of the Western civilizations
by Mediterranean inhabitants? Do we owe oenology to religion? Jesuschrist!!

Is wine making today an art, a technique, or is it a science?

What is important for me, is that oenology and viticulture exist, and that
today, they present formal knowledge that has been created by society to
study, promote, and perfect this beverage.

Honey and, in general, the products of the beehive, haven`t had this luck,
even though there are a lot of parallels that one can make between honey
and wine.

Both come from a European or Mediterranean source. Wine from *Vitis
vinifera* and honey from the European honey bee *Apis Mellifera*.. Wine and
honey can be made from other sources: rice wine, fruits wine, etc; honey
from *Meliponias sp., Bombus sp., *other* Apis sp.,* and *Trigona sp.*

In oenology terms, one can talk about a varietal as opposed to a blended
wine. In honeylogy terms, one can also talk about varietal (monofloral) as
opposed to a blended (polyfloral) honey. One can also make the distinction
of terrain and vintage to refer to honey, just as is done with wine. On
both - wine and honey - sensory examination and evaluation can be made.

To its benefit, wine, with less ORAC value than honey, pollen or propolis,
has the French Paradox behind it. Honey, despite its highly acclaimed
medicinal advantages is not supported by any such paradox.

In the wine industry you can become an Oenologist or a Sommelier, in the
honey industry you are always a Beekeeper or Apiarist, why not a
Honeylogist or Honeymelier or Mielmelier?

If a Google search is done for viticulture, 4,420,000 links are provided.
Beekeeping gets 1,550,000 and apiculture gets 1,120,000. However, wine gets
255,000,000 links, “Vino” gets 56,400,000, whilst Mead scores 11,800,000.
For honey its 102,000,000 and “Miel” 15,300,000 links.

If one searches for honeylogy, *score zero links. This is an oportunity
when* compared to* 700,000 for oenology.  Keep the secret!.*

I want to study a PhD at Davis for 2 reasons.

Firstly, as a means to have the time and guidance to develop *Honeylogy*, a
structured approach to *add value through knowledge* to the beehive
sub-products. Secondly, and especially, to add that value and knowledge to
the honey and propolis products from southern Chile.

At UC Davis I expect to have plenty of time dedicated to develop Honeylogy.
I expect to be surrounded by intelligent and dedicated people prepared to
guide me on my search for knowledge. I will have access to state of the art
labs for doing the necessary analysis of the beehive products.  If not at
the .....  (fill in the blank) ..... Oenology Faculty ....  somewhere in
the campus I will find the right person to talk to. UC Davis has a famous
beekeeping tradition with the Harry H. Laidlaw Jr. Honey Bee Research
Facility centred within an excellent Entomology department. As well as one
of the world’s best Beekeeping Extensionists (Eric C. Mussen), and a world
renowned bee geneticist (Susan Cobey), there are experts in international
trade, social marketing, and bu*s*iness technology, to name but a few
parallel skills.

Finally, California geographycaly is quite similar to Chile, and UC Davis
is roughly at the same latitude as Temuco (where I live), therefore all the
non formal knowledge about the landscape and beekeeping will be useful on
my return. I already have contacts and close friendship with one prominent
Californian beekeeper, Randy Oliver, which is a great start.