From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:21:51 -0500
>The SMR bees do not exist.

The trait was explained by Ibrahim and Spivak as
hygienic behavior.

I don't buy it! Dr. Harbo explained  smr to me and the method to detect
those bees with the SMR trait. I have tested many hives with the SMR trait
which were NOT hygienic as defined by Marla.

Painting SMR as simply a form of hygienic behavior will not work for me!
Something else is going on with those bees and I believe involves the JGH or
a signal from the larva/cell which renders the mature varroa unable to mate.

If SMR was simply the removal of varroa infected brood I would have observed
such in observation hives and I have not.

Only my opinion but I worked with SMR bees for several years and had Glenn
apiaries SMR II breeder queens. Also Marla Spivak hygienic II breeder
queens.

I realize the hypothesis Joe has presented is being accepted but I still
don't buy it! I hope to live long enough to see the *SMR trait does not
exist* be proven incorrect.

Bob

"What we do not know is so vast it makes what we do know seem absurd!"  Bob
Harrison