From:
Bill Chalmers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 01:48:43 -0500
I am afraid that I'll have to eliminate the countries of Australia and New
Zealand and the state of Hawaii from this question.  As most of know that
these are the last bastions of hope!

I keep beeps in Saskatchewan ( a mere 400 Km from Mr. Dyck's bees).  I still
have the luxury of not having to deal with these nasty pests.  The closure
of the US/Canadian border, IMO, has helped most Canadian beekeepers lag the
American Bee pest situation by at the least, a couple of years!  Also, here
in Saskatchewan the provincial border closure has helped to keep the Varroa
situation at bay for the past several years (fingers crossed)!

While attending the ABA (Alberta beekeepers association) convention earlier
this month, I was amazed to hear that even in Alberta, there are still
non-mite areas.  The UK has its' problems, yet I still hear that Northern
Scotland is still mite free???  The States???  Now that would be interesting
to hear from non-mite beekeepers south of the border.

With that said, the Saskatchewan experience has shown that the mites can be
contained...  so any ideas why?  I do not want to leave you with the
impression that the mite is not in Saskatchewan.  According the provincial
apiculturist, the varroa infestation is less than 18% and the tracheal
count less than 35%...  Better than 100% infested!

Thanks!

Bill Chalmers
Callum Honey Farms

PS This is my virgin post.